The Straw King is the 5th prequel novella in the Dorothy Must Die book series. It was released electronically on November 10th, 2015 and is collected in paperback form in Dorothy Must Die Stories Volume 2 along with Heart of Tin and Ruler of Beasts.
Being the earliest chronological entry in the series taking place something after The Wonderful Wizard of Oz would have ended, the Scarecrow being the King of Oz is with the Tin Man and Lion as suddenly gun shots ring out as General Jinjur and her soldiers invade the palace.
- Events parallel The Marvelous Land of Oz, but the book did not feature Lion.
- It is presumed that Glinda took Ozma out of Gillikin Country out of the custody of Mombi but this has yet to be mentioned in detail.
- The titles and descriptions of in-universe books are mentioned as:
- 53 volumes of The Collected History of Oz: Its Landscapes, Customs, and Peoples (Scarecrow was only on Volume 23)
- Anthropmorphicum Catalogarium: A Bestiary of Magical Creatures, Their Diets & Their Habitats
- Herbarium Magisterium
- Tax Codes of the Quadlings
- How to Cook for a Rigmarole
- Despots of Oz: Their Way, or the Highway! which he uses to look up General Jinjur who had been planning her invasion for a long time but paused after hearing Dorothy companions had been given "mighty gifts of magic". Interestingly enough, other entries include articles about: Dr. Pipt, Eureka (she had orginally came to Oz inDorothy and the Wizard in Oz), Evoldo (he had been dead before the events of Ozma of Oz), Gayelette, and the Hungry Tiger.