Save Oz! with the alternate titles of Wicked Flying Monkeys and Guardians of Oz is a Spanish-Indian computer-animated film that was released on April 10th 2015 made by Ánima Estudios in association with Discreet Arts and FilmSharks International. It was directed by Alberto Mar and Jorge Gutierrez. It is the first computer-animated film produced by Ánima Estudios, and is also the first Spanish made Oz film. It takes place wihtin the adaptations of the books by L. Frank Baum, but features new characters that were not in the original books. It has only been released in Mexico and India with possibly direct-to-DVD for the United States in April 2016.
Taking place after Dorothy's visit, Glinda (spelled Glenda) decides to bring the Wicked Witch of the West named Evilene back to life under the condition that her powers are to be kept in a broom protected by the Scarecrow, Tin Woodman, and the Cowardly Lion. In an attempt to get the broom by using her winged monkeys, but however, one of them named Ozzy forgets to open the gate of the castle where it is being kept (?) which causes a battle. To punish Ozzy, Evilene changes his father into a chicken and puts spells onto the "Champions of Oz" upon retriving the broom. Ozzy steals it and heads to Glinda for help.
The English Cast is still to be announced.
- Héctor Emmanuel Gómez as Ozzy
- Susana Zavaleta as Eviline
- Loreto Peralta as Gabby
- Raúl Araiza as Yicky
- Jorge "El Burro" van Rankin as Gak
- Ozzy, an adventurous flying monkey raised by the legendary Goliath.
- Evilene, the Wicked Witch of the West. She lives in Emerald City.
- Goliath, the son of Ozzy. Goliath is the leader of the Flying Monkeys.
- Yicky and Gak, two flying monkeys who are sadistic towards Ozzy.
- Gabby, a witch who dislikes flying monkeys.
- Glinda the Good Witch
Differences between the Books and the Film
- The Scarecrow, the Cowardly Lion, and the Tin Man are different from the ones in the books from L. Frank Baum. The Cowardly Lion has gauntlets and short hair. The Scarecrow has a pink nose. The Tin Man has a long neck.
- The Wicked Witch of the West is named "Evilene". In the books, the witch has no name.
- Ozzy and Goliath do not appear in the books.
- The name "Evilene" is very close to and is very much the same name for the Wicked Witch of the West in The Wiz musical and movie which is "Evillene" with an added "l".
- This is the 2nd computer-animated Oz film after Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return.