Peter E. Hanff is the Deputy Director of the Bancroft Library at the University of California, Berkeley; he has made significant contributions to the scholarship on L. Frank Baum and Oz. Perhaps most notably, Hanff collaborated with Douglas G. Greene on the Bibliographia Oziana, the main bibliographic record and resource on the Oz literature. Hanff has also collaborated with Patrick M. Maund on some of the essays in the "Bibliographia Baumiana" series published in The Baum Bugle.
Hanff wrote Introductions to C. J. Hinke's Oz in Canada: A Bibliography (1982) and to the 1981 reprint of Baum's self-published By the Candelabra's Glare (1898). He has also written on literary subjects apart from Baum and Oz.
Selected works of Peter Hanff
- David L. Greene and Peter E. Hanff, "Baum and Denslow: Their Books," The Baum Bugle, Vol. 19 No. 1 (Spring 1975).
- Peter E. Hanff, "Way & Williams, Chicago, 1895–1898," Quarterly News Letter of the Book Club of California, Vol. 42 (Summer 1977).
- Peter E. Hanff, "L. Frank Baum's Success and Frustration," The Baum Bugle, Vol. 21 No. 3 (Winter 1977).
- Patrick M. Maund and Peter E. Hanff, "Bibliographia Baumiana: The Enchanted Island of Yew," The Baum Bugle, Vol. 42 No. 1 (Spring 1998).
- Patrick M. Maund and Peter E. Hanff, "Bibliographia Baumiana: Queen Zixi of Ix," The Baum Bugle, Vol. 45 No. 2 (Autumn 2001).
- Peter E. Hanff, "The Original Serial Publication of Queen Zixi of Ix," The Baum Bugle, Vol. 45 No. 2 (Autumn 2001).
- Peter E. Hanff, Cyclone on the Prairies: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and Arts & Crafts of Publishing in Chicago, 1900. Accompanied by Michael O. Riley's A Bookbinder’s Analysis of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. San Francisco: The Book Club of California, 2011. Designed and printed letter-press by Peter Koch.