The animated show is set in a modern, metropolitan Emerald City in which 12-year-old Dorothy Gale befriends West, a young, street-smart witch grappling with dark temptations, and Ojo, a giant munchkin.
After Dorothy discovers a strange green notebook hidden under the floorboards of her house in Kansas, a giant green tornado tears her whole house off its foundation, stranding Dorothy and her dog Toto in the magical land of Oz.
Instead of the Yellow Brick Road, there is the Yellow Brick Line, a train system that seems long shuttered and unlikely to take Dorothy anywhere. She soon befriends a sarcastic, street-smart girl named West and a surprisingly big munchkin named Ojo, while also learning of the mechanics of magic and the dire magic shortage in Oz. Before the pilot episode is through, Dorothy will have made some surprising new friends and a potentially dangerous new enemy, losing one opportunity to get home in the process.
- Ashley Boettcher as Dorothy Gale
- Nika Futterman as West
- Jorge Diaz as Ojo
- Chris Cox as Toto, Agent Wally Pugmill, the Patchwork Doll, and the Winged Monkeys
- Alexander Polinsky as Fitz
- Allison Mack as Evelyn Gale
- Stephen Stanton as the Magic Peddler, Scarecrow
- Keith Ferguson as Reigh
- Kath Soucie as Cyra
Amazon.com started their "Fifth Pilot Season" on June 26, 2015 and a pilot was released on that day. Amazon customers were able to vote on which shows get picked up or not based on how many the company allowed. There were only six contesting childrens' shows with Lost along with the other five which are entitled The Adventures of Knickerbock Teetertop, Bear in Underwear, A History of Radness, The Kicks, and Lily the Unicorn.
In Fall 2015, the pilot was temporarily made unavailable down causing concern that the series wasn't picked up but it was later restored with the listing Season 1, Episode 1. This now allows Amazon Prime subscribers to add the season to a Watchlist and be alerted to the release of new episodes.
It appeared on the "Series Development Slate" on the website but this was removed as itwent into production. A 11/06/15 press release indicates that the series was officially green lit. On November 16th, 2016 a one minute "Extended Adventure" official trailer was added to the show's page saying that it will be streamable on December 2nd. This is was turned out to be re-release of the pilot added with the second and third episodes as a one hour and seven minute special.
- This is the very first Oz adaptation to:
- Be a CGI animated series
- Be released online
- Feature an animated Ojo and his first film appearance since 1914's The Patchwork Girl of Oz.
- Be the first successful film adaptation named "Lost in Oz"
- References to 1939's The Wizard of Oz include:
- Dorothy has blue-checkered shoes as a reference to the dress
- Dortothy says the line "We are not in Kansas anymore"
- West wears black styped stockings simliar to those worn by the Wicked Witch of the East, she also has green eyes and though appears to have normal skin, can change to green at will.
- In a picture, Glinda is shown wearing a ruby red dress as a reference to the Ruby Slippers.
- A octopus band poster has a date of Marvelember 30th on it. This Oz month is a reference to Professor Marvel.
- It is the third CGI adaptation after Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return and Flying Monkeys of Oz.
- The Gales do not have a farmhouse and their modern house does not land on The Wicked Witch of the East.
- The Wizard's full name is Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkel Emmannuel Ambrose Diggs as named for the Emerald City's middle school.
- Fitz who is the main antagonist has the power to turn people with magic into stone statues which is a referenece to 1985's Return to Oz.
- The Winged Monkeys have metal electronic wings connected to suits who are controled by a compuer chip in Fitz's hat, similar to the Golden Cap.
- Fitz has Water of Oblivion balloons.
- Toto is a brown dog with white spots unlike his usual black appearance.
- Aunt Em is instead Dorothy's mother renamed Evelyn.
- She knows about the magical notebook that goes to Oz as it is revealed she has been there, and quite possibly is from there as she knows both West's mother and Glinda the Good.
- A father simliar to Uncle Henry has yet to appear.
- West's mother wears green clothes and has green eyes and hair.
- The Patchwork Girl is instead a small male "Patchwork Doll"
- Agent Wally Pugmill who is made of red brick might be an allusion to the Red Brick Road.
- The magic peddlers are all frogmen as a reference to the Frogman.
- Various advertisments referring to Oz elements can be seen such as:
- A movie called "Axe of Love" with a tin heart is on a billboard.
- Green shoes "fit for a wizard" made by Ugu the shoemaker.
- Nome King Cave Tours
- A type of fruit can color teeth into rainbow.
- Some types of food might be living creatures because:
- The school's sign says that the cafeteria is closed because of "escaped hot dogs".
- Ojo implies that eating corn is "messed up" since his neigbors are corn.
- Various doughnut humanoids can be seen walking around.
- The Pilot Free for Amazon.com members (requries an account and Microsoft Silverlight plug-in)
- Variety: Amazon Studios Greenlights 6 Pilots in Next Wave of Kids’ Programming
- Toonzone: Review: Amazon Pilots "Knickerbock Teetertop," "Lost in Oz," "Lily the Unicorn," & "Bear in Underwear"
- FilmMusicReporter: Amazon’s ‘Lost in Oz’ to Feature Theme Music by Mark Mothersbaugh and Score by Adam Berry
- IMDB listing