Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz is a web series created by Warner Bros. studios as a web exclusive to the Boomerang channel's video on demand service in the US but has premiered elsewhere internationally on the television channel starting with Austraila and New Zealand on June 26th, 2017. It's plot would appear to take place sometime after The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and around the time of Ozma of Oz
The series premiered in Austraila on June 26th 2017 as the first section of the first episode was released digitally in the US for the Boomerang app. That section is currently free and does not require a subscription. This first episode delves into the story without much pretense except that Dorothy went back to Oz and became a princess. A further episode might show her meeting Ozma for the first time and how Ozma ascended the throne (The Marvelous Land of Oz).
For non-subcribers, the series has also been released to DVD.
The series is based on the classic L. Frank Baum book series, and is set soon after Dorothy and her friends have defeated the Wicked Witch of the West. Following the original story, Queen Ozma has appointed Dorothy the Princess of Emerald City and, practically born for the role, Dorothy tackles her royal duties with enthusiasm, bravery and farm girl feistiness.
But it’s also a whole lot of responsibility, because Oz is pretty chaotic. There are Witches, Wizards, Munchkins, Flying Monkeys and a whole menagerie of mystical creatures. More often than not, magic falls into the wrong hands and that’s where Dorothy comes in. As Princess of Emerald City, Dorothy feels responsible to rein in the chaos. She loves to track down whichever magical person, place or thing is causing mischief in Oz and put a stop to it.
- Dorothy Gale (voiced by Kari Wahlgren)
- Scarecrow (voiced by Bill Fagerbakke)
- Tin Man (voiced by JP Karliak)
- Cowardly Lion (voiced by Jess Harnell)
- Glinda (voiced by Grey Griffin)
- Ozma (voiced by Kari Wahlgren)
- The Wicked Witch of the West (voiced by Laraine Newman), who is trapped inside a crystal ball
- Flying Monkeys
- Ojo (voiced by Kari Wahlgren)
- Nome King (voiced by JP Karliak)
- Kaliko (voiced by Bill Fagerbakke)
- Jack Pumpkinhead
- Patchwork Girl (voiced by Jessica DiCicco)
- Hungry Tiger (voiced by Bill Fagerbakke)
- Wogglebug (voiced by JP Karliak)
- Dr. Pipt (voiced by JP Karliak)
- Munchkin Mayor (voiced by Bill Fagerbakke)
- Candy Man (voiced by Steven Blum)
- Hammerhead (voiced by Steven Blum)
- Wilhelmina, the Wicked Witch of the West's niece (voiced by Jessica DiCicco)
- Frank, a flying monkey (voiced by Steven Blum)
- Lyman, a flying monkey (voiced by Jess Harnell)
- Larry Chigglewitz (voiced by JP Karliak)
- Yak Yakity Yak (voiced by Steven Blum)
- Wally (voiced by Kari Wahlgren)
- Crank (voiced by Jess Harnell)
- Melinda (voiced by Grey Griffin)
Possible but unconfirmed:
The following might appear in the series with the show being based on content from the original book series and the 1939 film, but they have yet to be announced:
1a. Beware the Woozy
1b. Magical Mandolin
2a. Toto Unleashed
3b. Mixed-Up Mixer
4a. Ojo the Unlucky
4b. The Lion's Share
7a. One-Winged Wally
10a. The Beast Royales
10b. Time After Time
11a. Kitten Around
11b. Castle Sitters
12a. Stuck on You
12b. Family Matters
13a. The Emerald of Zog
14a. Copy Cat
14b. Snow Place Like Home
15a. Mirror Madness
16a. A Cut Above the Rest
17a. Halloween Heist
17b. Haunt Me Not
18a. Wheelers Of Fortune
18b. Sister Sister
19a. Moody Magic
19b. If the Shoe Fits
20a. Get Smarts
20b. Mission Imp-Possible
- Currently with 20 episodes consisting of 40 segments, it is the second longest animated Oz series after The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (anime).
- This is the second animated series to be a sequel to the MGM film as the first was 1990's The Wizard of Oz (TV series)
- As with the 1990 series, it is also the third to feature a return of the Wicked Witch of the West, who in this case is trapped inside a crystal ball instead of being resurrected by the flying monkies. The second is Save Oz! where she is revived by Glinda.
- Similar to the 1990 series, Dorothy still has the Ruby Slippers which she uses to get back to Oz.
- This is also the second animated series to feature Ojo after Amazon's Lost in Oz (web series)
- This is the third Oz project for Warner Bros. animation after Tom and Jerry & the Wizard of Oz and Tom and Jerry: Back to Oz.
- Jess Harnall and Greg Ellis have both voiced together in a couple of Tom and Jerry films but neither voiced for the two above.
- Jess Harnall provided the voice of a singer in Lion of Oz and has done many voices for Walt Disney Pictures
- Kari Wahlgren played the voice for Tiger Lily from Peter Pan in the video game Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. which features Oz characters.
- Tin Man operates more like a mechanical machine or a robot then his film counterpart.
- The Ruby Slippers are shown to have various powers including flight.
- Since she has magic, Ozma can float on her own.