Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Charley Grapewin (20 December 1869 – 2 February 1956) was the actor who played Uncle Henry in the 1939 MGM film The Wizard of Oz. (At a much younger age, he had appeared in the famous 1903 stage adaptation of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.)
His career in films spanned half a century, from Jimmy Hicks at the Races in 1900 (he played the title character) to When I Grow Up in 1951. He appeared in nearly 100 movies, including nine in 1939, the year of the Wizard. He played roles in The Grapes of Wrath, The Good Earth, and film) Captains Courageous.
Grapewin had planned to retire from acting in 1938, but postponed that step for the Oz role. The week he spent playing Uncle Henry made him change his mind, and he continued performing for more than a decade.
Grapewin had shared prior credits with several Oz castmates. He played with:
- Judy Garland in Broadway Melody of 1938 (1937) and Listen, Darling (1938)
- Buddy Ebsen in Broadway Melody of 1938 (1938)
- Ray Bolger in The Girl of the Golden West (1938)
- Bert Lahr in No More West (1934)
- Frank Morgan in The Kiss before the Mirror (1933)
- Clara Blandick in three films in the mid-1930s.
- Jay Scarfone. "'Uncle' Charley." The Baum Bugle, Vol. 43 No. 1 (Spring 1999).